Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Random Ramblings from the Ramblas


Barcelona, what an absolutely fantastic city… The blue waters of the Mediterranean lapping at the sand on Barceloneta beach, the hoards of people strolling up and down Las Ramblas, the fancy and far-too-expensive stores of L’Eixample, the twists and turns of the Gothic Quarter, and the whimsical touches by Antoni Gaudi covering the city. With so much space conquered, so many sights seen, I’ll just go ahead and hit you with my random ramblings from the Ramblas…

1. Mini Kazoos. Barcelona, much like every other city, has hundreds of people trying to sell you little trinkets that they think you’re dying to have. Case in point, the mini kazoo. I’m not sure how this type of thing actually says BARCELONA in someone’s mind but apparently these things sell. They are tiny little things that you hide in your mouth but when you blow them they sound like kazoos only much higher pitched and not nearly as pleasant as an actual kazoo. (How good is the word Kazoo!?) The people selling these mind numbing toys were EVERYWHERE on Las Ramblas. What should have been a pleasant stroll was made so anxiety inducing daily because these guys would not leave you alone. I’ve never come so close to punching anyone in my life. If I never hear another one of those things again, I assure you, I’ll die happy.


2. Siestas. From all of this travel so far I’ve discovered one very important lesson (as witnessed in my previous post), you can either be a day tourist or a night tourist, you cannot be both. With all the walking and sight seeing and planning and eating done in a day it is virtually impossible to have the energy to then go out at night. This is why I feel Spain is really on the ball. This whole siesta thing is beyond crucial. I believe there was only one day we didn’t siesta in Spain…never again. I’m a big sleeper as it is. Love to sleep. Love to nap. This culture is made for me. While I’m petitioning Congress for cerveza dispensing vending machines, you can rest assured I’ll be adding in a little something about the value of an implemented siesta program as well.



3. Gawdy or Gaudi? You may have heard of this man they call Gaudi and if not, I’m here to tell you he’s a total whackadoo…in the most awesome way possible. He designed structures like Casa Battlo, Parc Guell, and the world famous, Sagrada Familia. This man is freaking crazy and I love it. I’m sort of shocked that Barcelona was down with him designing what he did for the city considering the time period. I mean you would think this man was tripping on acid. His gingerbread like designs make you feel like you’re walking through Candyland and let’s be honest, I could really get into that. Sagrada Familia was completely awesome. The front looks ancient and like it’s melting while the inside is completely innovative and nothing like any cathedral I’d ever imagine. What’s so interesting is that though Gaudi died years ago, the people of Barcelona are so committed to his vision that people work on this cathedral for years knowing they will never see the final product. It’s meant to take another quarter of a century to complete. Seriously, 250 more years. Sheesh! I guess that means I won’t be seeing it either…unless something scientific and crazy happens here in the next few decades, somehow I doubt it though.



4. Nudity. What’s awesome is laying out on the beach in Barcelona, Spain. What’s not awesome is when you see a guy looking at you from across the way and then you realize he’s naked…on the main beach…naked. THAT is all.


And NowEuropeToDate...

No comments:

Post a Comment