Monday, May 16, 2011

I Left My Heart In Granada


Ever heard the expression, “When you meet him, you’ll just know.” (If not, try being a single female in your late 20’s surrounded by people who think “it’s just about that time.”) Well this is the best way I can describe that taxi ride from the train station to our hostel upon arriving in Granada. As I looked out the windows, at the bright blue sky, friendly streets, perfectly European architecture, and the snow capped mountains framing it all, I just knew. This is one of those places that etches its way into your memory and you are never the same. I don’t think its one particular thing that I can put my finger on, but it was more of a feeling. I guess I can finally understand what that expression was saying.

Our hostel was tucked back in the old Moorish quarter known as the Albayzin, a quintessential maze of cobblestone alleyways bordered by the rushing waters of the Darro River where Spanish guitar players and the smell of incense abound. Atop the summit of the steep stairways of the neighborhood was San Nicolas viewpoint. Granada was a city short on “sights” but big on views and San Nicolas Square proved to be the crown jewel of them all. After a walk that leaves you undoubtedly momentarily lost on multiple occasions and winded as can be, you finally find it, round the corner, and have one of those “Holy Shit” moments of a lifetime. There it is on the hill across from you, the treasure of Granada, the Alhambra.The last and greatest of the Moorish palaces, the Alhambra, gives you a glimpse into 13th and 14th century Spain as it sits sun-soaked upon its mountaintop residence. Absolutely breathtaking. For me, that moment was right up there with my first train-door-opening glimpse of the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge. One of those moments when you realize, this world’s a bit too magnificent to spend all of your days in one place. Granada felt like the Europe of my dreams. Quaint yet vivacious, vastly different though not overpoweringly so, a place one could easily call home.

I carry around a book with me full of fun information like train times, directions to
hostels, and to do lists that I started when I got the idea to move to Australia. However, it’s also littered with pictures and quotes about traveling to keep me motivated when I’m hit with more crazy ideas. One such quote I made up for myself. It reads, Live With Wings. For me, it’s a reminder to love my roots but not be afraid to spread these wings of mine. And I’ll tell you, after Granada, I’m flying high. I’m one hundred percent certain as I sit on a train heading away from this place, that I left a piece of my heart there as I have done only a few times before. I’ve happily made peace with this realization though because I’d rather have a heart that’s not whole if it means trading it in for one that’s bursting at the seams full. Full of places, full of people, full of adventures that dreams must certainly be made of…

"I think that the only pleasure greater than seeing Granada is that of seeing her again."

-Alexandre Dumas


And NowEuropeToDate…

No comments:

Post a Comment