Friday, May 13, 2011

Hola, Donkey!


Preface: Some people may not find this story deserving of an entire post but my friend Aubree and I curiously have an ongoing joke about donkeys so for the fact that this occurred, well, it was nothing short of timely and amazing.


Yesterday, while wandering the glorious streets of Granada, Jenny and I decided to walk up to a neighborhood in the northern hills called Sacromonte. This area was meant to be surrounded by old gypsy women and apparently, was a chance to see the way they lived. Well, we didn’t see any gypsies (maybe we had bad information) but I’ll tell you what we did see…a donkey. He was only partially in view as we came up the hill around a corner and I thought surely he must be attached to something, carrying a load of some sort, or at the very least, be accompanied by his burrista (baristas make coffee, burristas drive donkeys, or at least in my mind they do.) As he came into full view, it became clear to me that none of this was true. He was just simply a stray donkey, hanging out in the road, as if someone had let him outside to play. Naturally, after exchanging some words with him to the tune of “Hola, Donkey!,” I asked him if he wouldn’t mind posing for some photos with me. He obliged. Regretfully, after our photo session, we had to go our separate ways. We walked one way, he walked the other. I tried to get him to follow us but didn’t think the hostel would look kindly upon me bringing home a new house pet. Further along our walk, spray painted in black letters on a wall was a sign for burro-taxi.com (no joke.) Personally, I think our new furry friend was a rebel without a cause, a lone sole, and had fled that donk-sicle stand in search of greener pastures, or at least better views. For this reason, I will call him James Dean. I don’t know where you came from James Dean or where you were going, but I’m sure glad I met you upon your way.


Adios Donkey!

And NowEuropeToDate...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Al!..just read thru your blogs & am 1)so impressed & 2) so jealous! U r an amazing writer...witty as always...go figure! & SO jealous of your escapade! u r truly finding your best life ever!

    ReplyDelete